The first time I saw/met Brian was the beginning of May 2008. A bunch of our friends were going to the park to play this game where you fill old nylons with flour and throw them at each other. Sounds fun right? I wasn't really in the mood to go. Not sure why, but I kept fighting it. Finally my roommates convinced me to go. Everyone was dressed in black, and then there was red and blue headbands to distinguish teams. When I walked up to get my headband, Brian saw me and told me to grab a blue band (because he was holding a blue band and he wanted me on his team). I looked at him, didn't say anything...and proceeded to take a red headband. Ha. I vaguely remember this. But I do remember noticing him later on because he was so tall. I had been asked out by so many boys that were my height, or a couple inches taller and I hated it. I loved my high heels and wanted to be able to wear them next to a guy and still feel feminine, and be smaller than the guy. So anyhow....I noticed that he was tall, and that he was flirting with our friend Melissa. He was picking her up and twirling her around.




Hahahaha. Oh man. I can't believe it, but I just found a picture that Orchid took of Brian swirling Melissa around. How great. Seriously. That is really funny. I could picture the memory in my head, and now there is proof! (as a side note...we love Melissa)
About 3 weeks later I was walking by his apartment and stopped in to chat for a few minutes. I asked his name, what his major was, etc. etc. I found out he was an accounting major, and I was in an accounting class that semester so I told him he should help me study. I was just being friendly, keeping my options open, being nice, and trying to get to know some new people. After a few minutes I walked home. He showed up at my apartment about 15 minutes later. We chatted, very casually. I was going to another guy friends baseball game, and asked if he wanted to come with me and my roommates. He came. That night some of us were going to a dance party. He came. He tried to show off his dance skills and impress me. I tried to look hot. The next day we met up and went to the mall. The next day he came over and was totally trying to get a date with me. He was tickling me and being very forward. He asked me out for later on that week. I had another date already for the night he asked me out. I contemplated telling him if I already had another date. But then I decided to make him try harder. So I told him I had a date. I figured it would make him want me more. Because having another date would let him know that there were a lot of other males interested in me. Ha. I never did this before. I never made guys try hard. But with Brian I did. Don't know why. Then he asked me out for a different night. But I was going to be out of town. Strike 2. He said when I got back to town we would have to go out. And that was that.
A week and a half later, I was back in town. Brian tried asking me out for a third time. Third times a charm right? I guess so. This time I didn't have any more excuses to not go out with him. We went out for ice cream and then just drove around rexburg and talked. I didn't really go into it with any expectations. I just felt like every time we hung out, he was trying too hard. But as we talked, conversation just flowed. It was weird. It was so comfortable. We talked about our long term goals, and what we wanted in marriage. Kinda fast for a first date. As he walked me to my door, he asked me out for the following evening. That was pretty blunt. I said yes. I felt a little overwhelmed. Most guys would take me on a date....and then nothing ever really happened after the first date. If they did ask me out again, I usually wasn't interested in going out with them on a second date.
So the next night we went to dinner, and then to a dance. It was good, but a little awkward. It was weird to go to a couples dance, when we weren't really a couple. And it was just the two of us. None of our friends came.
A few days later, when I got home from class, there were fresh flowers on my desk with a note and this picture on my desk. Dang. This boy was pulling out all the stops. He must really like me. That night he held my hand for the first time. I could tell he was so nervous. (I had butterflies in my stomach too). After that, we just started hanging out more, and within a week he had asked me to be his girlfriend. It sounded so old fashioned to me. But it was cute. I could tell he wanted to kiss me, but every time it seemed like he would, we were always in my apartment. One night I told him I wanted our first kiss to be somewhere cooler than at my apartment. So....he had planned this extensive date in Idaho Falls and had it all planned out to kiss me down there. But, he didn't make it. One night we went on a walk and were sitting on this hill that looked out over Rexburg. The sun was setting and it was so pretty outside. He asked if he could kiss me. I told him to go ahead. So he did. It was a good first kiss. Not awkward, just natural.We dated for about a month and were talking about buying him a plane ticket to come visit me in Philadelphia over the 7 week break between semesters. Every time we would look at tickets I was excited. But then I started to feel a lot of pressure and I got nervous. I couple weeks later I just felt so overwhelmed. I felt a little suffocated. Even though I really liked Brian and I felt like I could marry him, I just felt like it was too much too fast. The solution? I broke up with him. He couldn't understand why. Poor guy. And I just felt great. It felt good to have a sense of freedom back. I had been single forever. I had never dated anyone before Brian. So it was an adjustment to not have all my time be my time. I had to give the little "me time" I had to Brian.
Over the 7 week break, I never missed Brian. I never called him. I never regretted breaking up with him. I came back to school in September and was still friends with all of Brian's roommates, but I wasn't interested in dating Brian again. The first day of classes I walked into my Business 399 class, Entrepreneurial Management. I was excited to be in a class with 25 guys and 4 girls. The odds were looking good for me. Then I turned around and saw Brian. Oh great. He would ruin my opportunity to flirt with all the other boys. We had to prepare case studies before every class. We also had to go over the case with someone in the class, before coming to class. It was for points. Brian and I started getting together to work on cases. It was easy. I already knew him. He lived across the street. And I was usually at his apartment anyway, hanging out with his roommates.
After a few weeks of studying together and sitting next to each other in class, I was starting to warm up to the idea of dating him again. I liked him. I liked seeing him participate in class. I liked seeing his "business" side come out. It was kinda sexy. Then he started coming over to my apartment dressed in his new 3 piece suit. He would also come over in his glasses. He looked H.O.T. He knew exactly what he was doing....trying to woo me back to him. Well it worked. We started dating again and I got over my weird, needing more "me time". Things just fell into place, and before I knew what was happening, I started to fall in love. And 2 months later he shocked me by accidentally telling me he had bought an engagement ring. I freaked out a little; almost had a panic attack. He got nervous. The next night we were engaged.

And 2 and half months later we were married in the Salt Lake City temple for time and all eternity.
A few more pictures of Brian and I while we dated...


No comments:
Post a Comment