August 6, 2009

I have a WHAT???

About a month ago when we got back from our second weekend in Washington, I started having shortness of breath in my morning walk/run with my neighbor. It was very strange. I thought maybe it was the change in altitude, but after a few days it was still there. Then we didn't go for a few days and I felt better. When we started working out again the shortness of breath came back. I could barely finish a tennis match. I was having to wait a minute in between serves just to catch my breath. Then I considered that maybe I was getting asthma. Which was odd because I have always been very active and have never had asthma. Finally after two weeks of this I went to the doctor.

The doctor thought it was probably asthma and wrote me a prescription for an inhaler. He then did some blood work just to make sure it wasn't a blood clot. A few hours later I got a call at work from the doctor. He had gotten my d-dimer test back. A normal level is 400.....mine was 3400. He told me to go strait to the hospital and he would meet me there. Brian met me at the hospital, gave me a blessing, and then I went in for a CAT scan. Five minutes later the doctor came in and told us that I had a large blood clot in my lungs. They admitted me immediately and gave me a shot to start thinning my blood. The next morning they did an ultrasound and found where the clot originated in my left leg. Okay....this is getting way too long. They sent me home with lots of blood thinner. One week later my leg hurt so bad I could barely stand. I went back to the emergency room for round two. The ultrasound showed that the original clot in my leg (3 inches above my left knee) had extended all the way down to my ankle. So back to the hospital bed, another IV, and a lot more blood work sent out. I guess my body just didn't respond to the blood thinner they sent me home with. Now I am back home. No more pain in my leg. Getting shots in my stomach everyday to help thin my blood and we are just waiting for all my blood work to get back so we can see what is up w/ my body. We will keep you updated! Hopefully everything is uphill from here! And luckily I have the greatest Mom ever who came 3 separate time to take care of me. I Love her!!! And I have a wonderful husband who loves me very much and who has waited on me hand and foot. They have both been so great to me. Thanks Mom and Brian :)

Lessons Learned:
1. Be careful taking birth control
2. When taking long trips, get up and move around every couple hours
3. Always stay hydrated
4. Be willing to ask for a blessing!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! That is quite the ordeal! I am glad you are doing well!

Jaida Hancock said...

Dude, that is mad crazy!!! And, ps-when did you get married? So happy for you. I'm also SO HAPPY your husband is a worthy priesthood holder. You will find that to be one of the best traits a husband can have. Seriously keep posting on the progress. I will keep you in my prayers.

Marilou said...

Yay! You got the pictures to upload. I still can't get over how crazy this whole ordeal has been!

Chell said...

Jaclyn I hope you know you have been in my prayers and thoughts a ton. I hope you get better real soon. Hate hearing about any of "my girls" suffering.

Love you (((HUGS)))

Alex, Orchid, Layla, & Leo Christensen said...

I love you so much and am soo dang proud of you! You're a strong girl an yes you have a great Mom and great husband!! LOVE YOU!!!

The Skinners said...

Wow! Im glad you are ok... but how SCARY. I hadnt heard about any of this until just now. Im thinking of you and I will pray for you. Hang in there.

Jaynee & Dave said...

oh my goodness jaclyn! I can't believe you went through all this that is just crazy, I hope you are doing much better!

The Durfee's said...

i leave you alone for 5 seconds and this is what happens?!!? ahh so glad your okay!!! love you!!

Tamsyn said...

Even when you are in a hospital bed, you still look so pretty! I am glad that you are better though!

brittany+scott said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that but glad you are doing better. Hope you are enjoying the rest of summer. Miss you guys!

Brittany and Tyler said...

That's scary. I am glad you are doing ok now, but what a crazy experience. It is times like that, when I am so grateful for the priesthood. You are lucky to have Brian to always be near by and I am thankful that Tyler will be near to me soon too. Can't wait to see you around in the fall! :)